This matchday was yet another eventful matchday we got to witness. From some dreadful draws to some high scoring matches.
Let’s review each match one by one.
Finland 0-1 Russia
– For Russia, this match was a must-win match. They couldn’t afford to lose any more points this time or else they wouldn’t even finish 3rd in their group.
Russia dominated the match with 14 shots and 59% of possession. A. Miranchuk scored the only goal of this fixture and it finished 1-0 favoring Russia.
Turkey 0-2 Wales
– Turkey has managed to turn itself into a roasted Turkey that’s served in the Thanksgiving dinner. They had 18 shots and 64% of possession but still managed to get the L. Their defence just isn’t it.
Wales international Aaron Ramsey missed a bunch of sitters in this fixture. Wales could have easily finished 5-0 if we add up all the misses but still ended with a comfortable 2-0 win.
Ramsey’s goal curse continues yet once again. He scored and the very next day our beloved Sir Milkha Singh passes away. May his soul rest in peace.
Italy 3-0 Switzerland
Italy is truly the dark horses of this tournament. No one vouched for them to win the euros before it started but now they are the favorites to win it. They haven’t conceded a single goal yet. That’s a huge achievement in itself.
Ukraine 2-1 North Macedonia
I had 0 expectations from this match when I started watching it but I witnessed some great football. North Macedonian’s number 1 S. Dimitrievski had a great match. He faced 8 shots and managed to save 6 of them but, the other 2 goals which went past him weren’t really his fault but solely the mistakes of his 2 CBs ahead.
Ukraine’s number 7 started the scoresheet and their number 9 helped in increasing their lead to 2-1.
Denmark 1-2 Belgium
– Denmark played phenomenally in the 1st half. They played some great football. They were high pressing the entire time and it worked for them.
Poulsen helped Denmark in taking the lead in the 2′ min itself.
Kevin De bruyne, one of the main man of the Belgium squad didn’t start the game because of his injuries but was subbed on in the 2nd half in place of Mertens. We witnessed some great footballing action from Kevin De bruyne and once again proved why is he the best mid of the current generation. Just after 8 mins of his substitution, he assisted Thorgan hazard to equalise the score.
In the 69′ min he scored a banger of a goal to make the score 2-1. Lukaku had a great influence on both these goals but wasn’t able to register his name on the scoresheet.
The match was stopped at the 10th minute and a huge round of applause was dedicated towards Christen Eriksen.
The game finished 2-1 in favour of Belgium.
Netherlands 2-0 Austria
The Netherlands has opened their euros campaign with back-to-back wins for the third time. Dumfries is on fire in this tournament, scoring 2 goals in 2 matches.
Austria has suffered defeat in 5 of their last 8 matches at the euros all of which have come in the group stages. They have to win or at least draw their next match to secure their position in the top 3 of their group.
Sweden 1-0 Slovakia.
– Sweden is at top of their group and showcasing some great football. Their defensive play has managed to provide them with 4 points out of 6. They haven’t conceded a single goal just like Italy. They have successfully stopped Spain and Slovakia from scoring against them. We hope Sweden will go the distance.
Croatia 1-1 Czech Republic
Croatia is the shadow of themselves from their 2018 World Cup squad. They are yet to register a win in their euros campaign. They can miss the ro16 if they lose against Scotland on matchday 3.
England 0-0 Scotland
– Ahhh at last, the arch-rivals have finally met.
We hoped we would get to see some great football from both these squads but it failed to meet our expectations. This time Southgate played an attacking side but still managed to end the game 0-0, a dreadful draw. Kane was lost the entire time. The only 2 positive outcomes from this match were watching Phil Foden and Billy Gilmour. These 2 players ran the show. People even started comparing them to Pirlo and Iniesta. Pfft, English media(facepalm) am I right.
Gareth Southgate is simply wasting some great talents in the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Rashford etc.
To be very honest, at this rate we don’t think football’s ever coming home.
Hungary 1-1 France
– Hungry is playing beyond our expectations. They played well against Portugal but somehow lost by showcasing a great performance.
Against France to they played well. France has some great footballing talent and pace merchants but they were stopped by Hungary’s defense. France dominated this match with 14 shot and 67% possession but somehow managed to only score one. Hungary is the underdogs of this tournament.
Portugal 2-4 Germany
– This was one of the best and the highest scoring matches of this tournament. Portugal’s number 7 started the scoring but they found themselves trailing 2-1 at halftime. The 2 goals for Germany were their own goals scored by Dias and Guerreiro respectively.
Havertz and Gosens both helped Germany to extend their lead to 4-1.
Jota made it 4-2 at the 68′ min but it was too late. Germany’s defense was rock solid.
The match ended with a score line of 4-2.
Spain 1-1 Poland
– MANNNNNN Spain need to find a prominent goal scorer. Morata is just not the right person to do the job. Yes, we know he scored 1 goal but he also missed a bunch of sitters the entire match. If he had converted those chances into goals Spain wouldn’t have been in such a dilemma. They are currently 3rd in the group, one more slip and Poland will come up and take the 3rd place and will have a chance to qualify for the ro16. Spain was also provided with a penalty at the 59′ min which could’ve helped regain their lead but Gerrard Moreno had some other plans I suppose. Enrique would be missing Sergio Ramos right now. He could’ve converted that penalty and give some motivation to this death squad. Spain is lacking some leadership mentality right now.
The match ended 1-1 leaving the group wide open.
This was the end of matchday 2. Let’s hope such eventful moments happen in matchday 3 too.