Selhurst Park is the home ground of Crystal Palace. This season, 25,000 die-hard Palace fans will be at the stadium to support and cheer their team after almost 18 months.
(Crystal Palace’s home record)
There was a 13.7% decline in their win rate at Selhurst Park in the absence of fans.
Palace will try to take full advantage of their home crowd to get as many points as possible at home games.
Patrick Vieira is the new manager of Crystal Palace. Roy Hodgson stepped down as manager after 5 five years at the club to retire from football management.
Crystal Palace has decided to start a new era under Vieira with a primary focus on young and academy players. The Arsenal legend will have a huge responsibility to guide and help the youngsters to prove their worth by giving them a chance to showcase their talent.
It is Vieira’s first season in the Premier League. So, it could take some time for Crystal Palace to adapt and adjust to Vieira’s tactics and playing style.
TACTICS AND FORMATION
Patrick Vieira’s favoured formation is 4-3-3. He has majorly used this formation in the pre-season games. This formation will allow Palace to be more attacking and utilise their attacking stars like Zaha, Benteke, Eze, Ayew and Olise.
Vieira likes to more methodical possession-based football. He prefers attacking full-backs and inverted wingers. The full-backs are a crucial part of his system as they provide the width going forward.
He was sometimes criticised at Nice because his team did not create many chances and, the passing was often slow and repetitive.
The lack of chances creation makes it very important for his forwards to be lethal and not miss vital opportunities. Palace’s goal conversion rate has to be high if they want to have a successful season.
(CRYSTAL PALACE POTENTIAL LINEUP)
There can be a few changes in this lineup. The new signing from Chelsea, Guehi could start at centre back. Nathaniel Clyne could replace Ward in the team, depending on his fitness. Michael Olise signed from Reading can start in the midfield or on the wings. Eze is injured and, his return date is unknown, but he will be an integral part of the team after his return from injury.
Crystal Palace has had an impressive summer transfer window till now. They have signed a few young and exciting players.
They have signed two centre backs to replace Cahill and Sakho. The CB’s signed are Joachim Andersen and Marc Guehi.
They have also signed the EFL young player of the season, Michael Olise from Reading.
Conor Gallagher has joined Crystal Palace on loan till the end of the season from Chelsea.
Palace has also signed Nathan Ferguson on a free transfer from West Brom.
KEY PLAYERS TO WATCH OUT FOR!
- Wilfried Zaha
- He is the star player of Crystal Palace. He has been the most important player and leader on this side.
- He has scored 47 goals and provided 25 assists in the premier league for Palace. He has won 3 Crystal Palace player of the season awards.
- He will have a huge responsibility to lead the Palace front line and help the young players to settle in the team.
- Joachim Andersen
- The Danish Centre-Back will be their most important defender.
- He will need to become the leader of the defence in his second season in the premier league after an impressive debut season with Fulham.
- If Palace were to have a successful season, he will have to be on the top his game.
- Christian Benteke
- Benteke is one of the most experienced players in the team.
- He had a notable last season scoring 10 goals and assisting one in a struggling Palace side.
- Vieira and fans will want him to build upon his previous season’s form.
- Michael Olise
- Olise had a phenomenal season in the championship last season with Reading.
- He scored 7 goals and provided 12 assists.
- He won the EFL young player of the season.
- If he settles in well, then he could set the league on fire.
- Eberechi Eze
- Eze had an exciting debut season in the premier league.
- He scored 4 goals and provided 6 assists in 34 appearances.
- Unfortunately, he has Achilles tendon problems which will keep him on the sidelines for a few months.
- Whenever he is back, it will be a huge boost for the Eagles as he is one of the most important and creative players in the team.
- Marc Guehi
- Nathan Ferguson
- Tyrick Mitchell
- Conor Gallagher
- Jean-Philippe Mateta
OVERVIEW OF THE SQUAD
- Abundance of young and exciting players.
- Manager with attacking mindset.
- First-choice and back-up goalkeepers are solid and experienced.
- Summer signings have made squad strong.
- Good blend of young and experienced players in the squad.
- Not enough star players as compared to other premier league sides.
- Lack of squad depth.
- Full-backs are not up-to premier league standard.
- Strikers have not shown consistency.
- Midfield is the weaking link in the team.
- Lack of leaders.
WHERE DO YOU THINK CRYSTAL PALACE WILL FINSIH THIS SEASON?
WILL PATRICK VIEIRA BE ABLE TO REJUVENTATE THE EAGLES?