FANS RETURN TO THE STADIUM
London Stadium is the home ground of West Ham United. The stadium has a capacity of 60,000 fans, who will be raring to go and support their team in the stadium after 18 months.
No fans allowed in the stadium due to the pandemic turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the hammers as they were the most improved team without home support. Therefore, fans returning to the stadium could be detrimental to West Ham’s results.
P14 W4 D3 L7
Win Rate: 28.6%
P20 W10 D5 L5
Win Rate: 50%
(West Ham United’s home record)
Many pundits and journalists believe that one of the primary reasons for this impressive form was the fact that the players and manager got some relief from the toxic atmosphere created in the stadium by the fans.
The fans protested against the West Ham board and, their management of the club often created a negative environment in the stadium.
David Moyes is the manager of West Ham United. He replaced Manuel Pellegrini in December 2019 to save West Ham from relegation. He finished 16th with the Irons in that season.
In the 2020-21 season, Moyes guided West Ham to a record Premier League points total, with 65. West Ham finished 6th in the table and qualified for the Europa League. West Ham won club record, 19 games, including 9 away games.
This season, he will have a huge responsibility to continue West Ham’s remarkable form.
TACTICS AND FORMATION
David Moyes preferred formation is 4-2-3-1. The football played by his team is often not good on the eye but impactful on the pitch.
He likes his team to be disciplined and resilient.
He prefers his team to retain possession and occasionally try to find the forwards with longballs.
He demands his team to be physically strong and good in the air.
A massive part of West Ham’s game is the set-pieces. West Ham scored the most goals from set-pieces last season,16.
They also scored the joint-most headed goals last season, 15.
West Ham plays with 2 natural wingers, who can create chances for the striker, deliver crosses into the box and provide a high defensive work rate.
The 1st choice midfield pivot of West Ham is Rice and Soucek. Both of them are good in the air, defensively and physically solid.
Michael Antonio is an integral part of West Ham United’s system. His holdup plays with back to goal, pace and physical strength make him the perfect striker for Moyes tactics.
West Ham United has had a very quiet summer transfer window. They have only signed a couple of players till now but are continuously linked with other players.
Their main priority coming into this transfer window was a striker, attacking midfielder and central midfielder.
They have to replace Haller, who signed for Ajax in January. They also have to decide on Lingard, who had an unbelievable loan spell last season. They are also looking to replace the ageing West Ham legend, Mark Noble.
West Ham has sold Felipe Anderson to Lazio and, Balbuena has left on a free transfer.
West Ham has signed Areola from PSG on loan. They have also signed Dawson permanently after his impressive last season on loan.
KEY PLAYERS TO WATCH OUT FOR!
- Aaron Cresswell
- The English left-back had an impressive 2020-21 season.
- He provided the most assists by defenders in the league last season, 8.
- He is an integral part of West Hams set-piece tactic as he is the primary set-piece taker.
- Thomas Soucek
- Soucek had an exceptional premier league campaign last season.
- He scored 10 goals and provided one assist last season.
- He had the highest shots, tackles, interceptions and aerial battles in the West Ham squad.
- He also had 2nd most clearances and 3rd highest pass in the team.
- Said Benrahma
- He had a notable debut season with West Ham.
- He provided 6 assists and scored 1 goal.
- His game time last season was limited, but hopefully, it will increase this season.
- Michael Antonio
- He is the most crucial attacker at West Ham United.
- He scored 10 goals and provided 5 assists last season.
- If he stays fit for the whole season, there is no doubt West Ham will have a successful season.
OVERVIEW OF THE SQUAD
- Aerial ability
- Strong starting lineup
- Lack of squad depth (Especially because West Ham is in Europe this season)
- No back-up striker
- No back-up for Rice and Soucek
- Lack of Star Players
CAN MOYES LEAD THE HAMMERS TO CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THIS SEASON?
WAS 2020-21 CAMPAIGN JUST A ONE SEASON WONDER?