The second match of the doubleheader on Tuesday, MI vs PBKS is surely going to be a very interesting contest. With only a few matches left and the IPL reaching its end both the teams would look to turn the tide and book a spot in the playoffs. However both the teams look unsettled, something that usually isn’t said about the Mumbai Indians but yes, so is the nature of this tournament, one never knows what might go wrong for even one of the strongest teams in the tournament.
After the first leg of the IPL Mumbai Indians seemed to be comfortably placed at the fourth spot of the points table, however, they didn’t perform up to their potential. But what has happened in the second half is something no one could have predicted, Mumbai Indians have lost three out of three games they have played in UAE. There are numerous issues going around the team and things don’t seem to be going their way this time. All the three matches they have lost in the second leg haven’t been close matches but a clear loss implying poor performance. They were dominated by KKR and RCB whereas CSK took a comfortable victory over them. Their middle order which used to be their strengths suddenly looks highly vulnerable with Suryakumar Yadav, Ishan Kishan, and Hardik Pandya having a poor IPL. These three finding forms will be key to Mumbai Indians’ victory. Positives for MI have been their opening pair, consistently giving them good starts and their bowling unit led by Bumrah is one of the best.
Issues similar to the previous season are still haunting Punjab, their middle-order too like Mumbai Indians is failing to deliver and close matches for them. Not being able to seal the deal is something that they are lacking. Their bowling has been above average though not outstanding. Their opening pair of Mayank Agarwal and KL Rahul is doing miracles for the team, consistently scoring runs, in the rest of the tournament they would look to get their team over the line.
HEAD TO HEAD
Mumbai Indians and Punjab Kings have played a total of 27 matches of which Mumbai holds the slightest of edge winning 14 matches whereas Punjab has won 13 matches. Punjab would be looking to equal the record by winning this match.
Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium
Date: 28th September 2021
Time: 7:30 p.m. IST
The weather reports suggest 0% chance of precipitation. It is going to be a humid day with humidity being around 70%. The temperature would be ranging from a peak of 38 degrees to a low of 33 degrees
PREDICTED PLAYING XI:
MUMBAI INDIANS: Rohit Sharma(C), Quinton De Kock, Suryakumar Yadav, Ishan Kishan, Kieron Pollard, Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya, Trent Boult, Jimmy Neesham, Rahul Chahar, Jasprit Bumrah.
PUNJAB KINGS: KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, Chris Gayle, Aiden Markram, Nicholas Pooran, Deepak Hooda, Harpreet Brar, Arshdeep Singh, Ravi Bishnoi, Nathan Ellis, Mohammad Shami.
- Rohit Sharma- After missing out on the first match of the second half he has shown signs of great form. He is striking the ball well and would look onto to get a big score on the board
- KL Rahul- Surely one of the best batsmen in the league and a consistent performer who has always lived up to expectations.
- Mayank Agarwal- In form batsman and along with KL Rahul, has consistently got runs for the team
- Nicholas Pooran- After having a torrid start to the first leg, Pooran has returned back to his power-hitting
- Kieron Pollard- Hasn’t had the best of the season so far but he is one of the best finishers and would look to do so once again.
- Harpreet Brar- A youngster who has had a brilliant start to his career and would look to show his skills against the best
- Jasprit Bumrah- One of the worlds best T20 bowlers, he never fails to deliver
- Mohammad Shami- With PBKS not having a solid bowling attack, a lot rests on the shoulders of Shami and he would look to perform in this must-win contest
- Ravi Bishnoi- Young Bishnoi has impressed everyone, his abilities to spin the bowl are great. He is a gun fielder as well
- Rahul Chahar- One of the most recent callouts to the Indian team. After being selected for the T20 World Cup he hasn’t yet shown his true colors. He would like to prove himself yet again
- Quinton De Kock- Along with Rohit Sharma De Kock has scored a lot of runs for his team and would look to continue to do so
Mumbai are slight favorites in the contest however with the form that the MI middle order is carrying, Punjab surely have a great chance in this match