The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 is expected to begin from April 2 in Chennai, according to reports. IPL fans are eagerly awaiting for IPL 2022 season and the excitement has grown after the addition of two new teams – Ahmedabad and Lucknow. The addition of two new teams means that IPL 2022 will be a ten-team affair.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is yet to finalise fixtures of IPL 2022 but it is learnt that team owners have been sent this message that IPL 2022 would begin from April 2 in Chennai.
The addition of Ahmedabad and Lucknow teams will increase the number of games and according to sources, the BCCI is planning to hold the IPL 2022 for over 60 days with the final to be played in June.
The report added that each team will play 14 league games and the BCCI will follow the current format of seven home and away games.
Since Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings were the winners of IPL 2021 in the UAE, CSK will get the hosting rights for the inaugural game of the IPL 2022 season.
A few days ago, BCCI secretary Jay Shah had announced that IPL 2022 will be held in India. It is to be noted that IPL 2020 and half-season of 2021 were held in UAE.
“I know you all are waiting to see the CSK play at Chepauk. Well, the moment is not very far. The 15th season of the IPL will take place in India and it will be more exciting than ever with two new teams joining. We have a mega auction coming up, so it will be interesting to see what the new combinations look like,” the BCCI secretary had said at the function.
Mega Auction Likely To Be Held In The 2nd Week Of December
If certain reports are to be believed, then the IPL 2022 mega auction is all set to take place in the 2nd week of December 2021 in Chennai. Notably, the addition of 2 new teams has brought in a lot of changes in the retention policy and rules. As far as the retentions are concerned, a franchise can retain up to 4 players and the overseas players can’t be retained beyond a couple.
This ideally leaves the franchises with a 3+1 or 2+2 combination wherein, the franchises can either opt to retain 3 domestic and 1 overseas player or 2 domestic and 2 overseas players. The retention date is November 30 as the franchises have to submit the list to the IPL Governing Council on the final day of November.
IPL 2022 mega auction rules
- Salary Cap: Rs 90 crore
- Old franchises will name retained players by November 30, 2021, maximum of 4 players can be retained.
- New Franchises: 2 New teams to finalized their 3 players outside of auction between December 1, 2021 to December 30, 2021. Not more than 2 Indians and 1 foreigner.
- RTM Cards: There will also be no Right to Match (RTM) cards this time around.
- The BCCI has also outlined how much funds will be deducted from the salary cap as per their choices of retentions.
- Total Players Purse: Rs 90 crore
- 4 Players retained, Rs 42 crore will cut from the player purse.
- 3 retentions will lead to a reduction of Rs 33 crores.
- 2 retentions will result in deduction of Rs 24 crore from the player purse.
- 1 Retained Player: Rs 14 crore will be deducted from the purse.
- IPL 2022 mega auction retention last date is November 30.