BCCI bans a threatening journalist! What has transpired behind the scenes?

After being found guilty of threatening wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended journalist Boria Majumdar for two years. Majumdar was previously accused of threatening Saha with an interview via Whatsapp texts. Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh, among others, supported Saha while condemning the “so-called journalist” in the tweet.

Image Credits: ndtv.com

Boria Majumdar was found guilty of threatening Wriddhiman Saha, according to the BCCI, and the committee has decided to ban him for two years. The following is the complete statement:

“As you may be aware, Mr Wriddhiman Saha released screenshots of communications sent by a journalist on Twitter, where he indicated that he felt bullied by the aforementioned journalist’s actions. Mr Saha identified Mr Boria Majumdar as the journalist throughout the hearing. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had taken notice of the situation and judged it necessary to examine and explore the matter in order to prevent similar incidents with other players, according to a statement released by the BCCI.

Mr Rajeev Shukla (Vice President), Mr Arun Singh Dhumal (Treasurer), and Mr Prabhtej Singh Bhatia, (Councillor) of BCCI established a committee in this regard” (“BCCI Committee”).

Mr Majumdar’s conduct was clearly in the character of menace and intimidation, according to the BCCI Committee, which evaluated both Mr Saha’s and Mr Majumdar’s submissions.

To the Board’s Apex Council, the BCCI Committee proposed the following punishments. The BCCI Apex Council agreed with the BCCI Committee’s findings and levied the following sanctions:

i. A two-year ban on obtaining accreditation as a member of the press at any domestic or international cricket match in India;

ii. A two-year prohibition on interviewing any registered players in India; and

Iii, a two-year prohibition on using any BCCI or member association-owned cricket facilities. 

In a letter to the state units on May 3, BCCI interim CEO and IPL COO Hemang Amin wrote, “Mr Wriddiman Saha shared screenshots of messages sent by a journalist on the social media platform Twitter, in which he stated that he felt bullied by the said journalist’s conduct; Mr Saha named Mr Boria Majumdar as the journalist in the hearing.”

“The BCCI Committee considered the representations by both Mr Saha and Mr Majumdar and decided that Mr Majumdar’s acts were certainly in the character of threat and intimidation,” Amin continued.

According to Amin, the committee proposed three sanctions to the Apex Council, which the Apex Council agreed upon and imposed on Majumdar. 

Saha, a centrally contracted player, made the accusation in a series of tweets on February 23, prompting the Board to launch an investigation.

It all started when the 37-year-old was left out of the Sri Lanka series. Saha divulged some classified dressing room chats with head coach Rahul Dravid in an outburst. He claimed that Dravid told him in South Africa that he was no longer a part of the plan.

The wicketkeeper-batter also recounted how the national selection committee’s chairman, Chetan Sharma, informed him that he was no longer being considered. The BCCI central contracts list just downgraded Saha to Group C. Stay Tuned with The Sportsway for latest updates.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: